This is one of our monthly plus episodes. You can access it by subscribing to Studying Pixels Plus. You will then receive an individual plus feed that you can add to your favourite podcast app.
Age ratings – where do they come from? What are the good for? And how accurate are they? – Come along as we venture into the workings of the Entertainment Software Rating Board.
- ESRB Website
- How Does the ESRB Rate Video Games? (Noclip – Video Game Documentaries)
- When Mortal Kombat Came Under Congressional Scrutiny (Tiffany Hsu)
- Parental Restrictive Mediation and Children’s Violent Video Game Play:The Effectiveness of the Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) Rating System (Russell N. Laczniak, Les Carlson, Doug Walker, and E. Deanne Brocato)
- Content and ratings of teen-rated video games (Kevin Haninger and Kimberley M. Thompson)
- Video Games and the ESRB. An evaluation of parental beliefs about the rating system (Natalie Jomini Stroud & Ariel Chernin)
- Beyond Today’s Video Game Rating Systems: A Critical Approach to PEGI and ESRB, and Proposed Improvements (Damiano Felini)